Sunday, November 18, 2007

I Am Thankful For Soup

I love soup. Especially when it's cold out. It's also one of my comfort foods. Below is my recipe for really a simple homemade broccoli soup.

Broccoli Soup

Ingredients:
  • One 16 oz (464 g) package of frozen broccoli
  • One 10 oz (283 g) package of frozen spinach
  • One quart (32 fluid oz / 946 mL) of vegetable stock
  • 6 oz (170 g) of cheddar cheese
  • Nutmeg to taste (Unless you're half asleep when you're making this one day and mistakenly add cinnamon instead -which surprisingly is also ok.)
Put everything in a pot. Heat. When the cheese is melted and the vegetables are thawed, use a food processor or blender to blend everything until smooth. I use one of those Braun handheld wand mixer thingys and blend it right in the pot.

If you want to use fresh ingredients that's fine. I use frozen so I always have what I need on hand.

If you live someplace that has different sized packages of frozen food just improvise. The amounts don't have to be exact.

If you're dieting or counting calories, divide the finished soup into 6 portions and each portion will have 100 calories of protein. Most diets don't care if you eat too many vegetables in a day, so the rest of the calories in this soup would be "free." :)

 

2 Comments:

Nora said...

I love broccoli soup! A great thing to be thankful for :-).

Melissa said...

Thanks nora bee. This one is surprisingly good considering how simple it is. It's not gourmet or anything but it hits the spot for me!