Friday, March 28, 2008

NaBloPoMo's Theme For April Is "Letters"

NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) is officially in November. During NaBloPoMo insane bloggers take up the challenge to post every single day for an entire month. Recently, NaBloPoMo has become a year-round challenge. That's not to say that the challenge is to post for 365 days (though there are other groups for that.) The challenge is still to post daily for a month, but now you can do it for the month(s) of your choice! To motivate people, NaBloPoMo is creating themes for each month. April's theme is "Letters."

To quote Eden:

"This is not the same as Blog365 (http://blog365.ning.com). Those nuts are blogging every day FOR A YEAR.

No, the new monthly NaBloPoMo is just meant for people who want to try setting the habit of blogging by doing it thirty (etc.) days in a row starting any time of the year."

"...the daily blogging theme for April is going to be LETTERS.

For writers, this can mean letters to the editor, love letters, fan letters, ransom notes -- I'm not encouraging illegal activity, but the list is endless.

For typography lovers, it's a month full of fonts!

For photographers, it's license to go out and shoot things both manmade and natural that resemble a member of our beloved alphabet.

If you can think of more ways to apply this theme, feel free to start a new topic in the forums!"
Initially I thought there was no way I could come up with 30 days worth of posts related to letters, but then I started thinking about the box of letters I have in my closet; some dating back to childhood. And then there's email. Email counts as letters! Between those two sources I should be able to come up with 30 days worth of letter posts.

Unlike "regular" NaBloPoMo, I'm a bit uncertain about whether or not I'll be able to do all 30 days of this one. I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be reading through all those old letters. It might put me into memory overload! BUT... I'm going to give it a try! If I can find the right balance and not get too overwhelmed by memories I think this could be neat! Let's see how long I last :) Wish me luck and stay tuned for a letter a day for the entire month of April -or until my brain goes phfzzzzt!

* If this sounds like fun and you'd like to try it too, you might want to get your head examined head over to NaBloPoMo's website!

Edit: I've added badges for April's NaBloPoMo here.

 

3 Comments:

storyteller said...

I've been 'lurking' lately because life's busy and it's the only way I seem to be able to manage my blogging, but I thought it was time for a quick 'howdy-do' to catch up with you.

I'm one of the 'crazies' doing Blog 365 ... but I thought I'd leave an encouraging word for you (and others) who might be thinking about the monthly commitment. I love the badges in the other post today ... and appreciate the subtle differences in each ... however I don't want to 'limit' myself to 'letters' any more than I wanted to limit myself to 'lists' last month ... so I'll enjoy reading YOUR letters (and the letters of all those who take up this challenge) and I'll continue to blog daily on whatever strikes my fancy ;--)

Hugs and blessings,

Vanessa said...

Letters has endless possibilities! I may take the challenge on this one.

Melissa said...

Hi storyteller! Good to see you :) NaBloPoMo's themes are suggestions but not requirements for blogging for the month (just so ya know!).

Vanessa: Good to see you too! You've been a little quiet on your blog. I think "letters" will be interesting.