Monday, March 17, 2008

The Blue House: Boy's Room

I used to collect doll house miniatures. These are pictures from "The Blue House." (If the rollovers in the photos don't work, click here.)
On the left you can see a little of the house's roof and blue exterior (Hence "The Blue House!")

The rabbits and cage on the floor are just some of the many pets in this house. I've often thought of making a miniature veterinary office to hold all the miniature animals, and science equipment I have!

On the roll top desk is a display of real (and tiny) sea shells, including a teeny tiny seahorse. On the desk (barely visible) is a book and a yellow legal pad of lined paper with a tiny red pencil resting on top. The pad of paper has individual sheets that can be torn off like a regular pad.

The gum ball machine, on the chest of drawers, was one of my favorite items when I was little. I think it was a birthday present. It's one of the few I've seen without a stand and with a round dome. Most others I've seen have longer egg shaped domes. The flat fishbowl next to it has a fake goldfish and plants embedded in the solid glass. Between the chest of drawers and the bed, barely visible, is a blue plastic garbage can. I think it used to hold candy.

The bed is a child proportioned bed. The pillow on it may have been made by my mother. I call the quilt on this bed a "fake" quilt, because it's a printed quilt pattern on one solid piece of quilting fabric.

I made the butterfly collection above the bed (Could you tell? ;) ) I think I cut the butterfly graphics out of the side of a paper Dixie bathroom cup. I also made the "Wild Thing" toy on the bed out of pom poms, felt, and Sculpey for the horns.

The robot is a windup toy that made its way to my desk when I was working at a magazine. I finally decided to take him home and put him in this room. He fit well. The bird cage was bought from an Asian import store.

The jester on left side of the lower bookcase shelf is metal, jointed, and I think may have been a Christmas ornament. The white seashell on that same shelf is plastic. Every other seashell in the house is real except for this one. I think this one was a bead. The green car on the top shelf may have been a Cracker Jack prize. I remember it had to be assembled. I have an orange one too. Above it you can see the bottom of a rocking horse. I think that was part of a play set for another doll (Possibly the Sunshine Family... not sure.)

The demonic head thing on the side of the bookcase is something I found in China Town. I don't know what it was supposed to be, but I thought it was cool, so I bought it and put it in the house. (Kids put all kinds of weird stuff in their rooms!)

 

0 Comments: