Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Blue House: Hallway Under Construction

I used to collect doll house miniatures. This is a picture from "The Blue House." (If the rollovers in the photo don't work, click here.)

This type of room was a common one in my houses. It was my equivalent to the "Under Construction" sign you often see on unfinished websites. -And this was before I was even on the web!

Any time I had a room that was far from finished, usually a hallway, I'd put out a can of paint and some tools in it so it would look like the room was under construction by "the people who lived in the house." Then it didn't look as unfinished and it "fit" better! (It wasn't me who hadn't finished that room yet! Talk to them!) In this case the door (which leads to the Toddler's Room) was missing a door knob (as were several other doors in the house!), a wall perpendicular to the door wasn't up yet, and the walls and door still needed some paint.

Another common room to see in my houses was some kind of attic or "catch-all" storage room. I usually used those to store seasonal items (like holiday items or fake food, or items I was going to use but hadn't yet.) Unfortunately I don't think I have a picture of the "catch-all" room for this house, but there was one. I always tried to make those rooms look as much like a real storage room or attic as possible, complete with boxes and a few representative "attic type" items.

As for this room...

I loved this bench. I'm not sure why, but I loved holding it. Maybe because it was so well made. It was small and scaled for a child, and there was storage space under the seat cushion where I'd often keep tools when they "weren't in use." The yardstick on the bench may have been someone's "business card." One of my yardsticks was. In tiny letters, at the top, it had the name, address, and phone number of a craftsman who specialized in miniature tools and equipment. He was giving out his business cards yardsticks at his booth at a show in Connecticut. I bought the Georgia O'Keeffe print at that same show. I remember flipping through a book with clear plastic pockets, each containing a different miniature painting or print. I loved this one.

 

3 Comments:

MP said...

I love the tours...the bench is very cool..and the baby yard stick..too cool...

Alice said...

i can't believe how clearly you remember details of where each piece came from.. my childhood memories are like "and then we.. went somewhere. with trees. there were squirrels. then i turned 8."

Melissa said...

Thanks MP :) (I hope you're feeling better!)

Alice: LOL! -I have a very good memory. Too good sometimes!

Many of the pieces in the pictures are from my earliest doll house when I was eight, but I didn't get "The Blue House" until I was in my 20s. So a lot of the items in these pictures were bought when I was older and seriously collecting. I think most people who collect "something" can recall the details of where they got most pieces.