Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day

~~ Happy Boxing Day! ~~

Those of you outside the USA might be surprised to know that most people here have never heard of Boxing Day. When I first heard about Boxing Day, I was living in England and thought it had some thing to do with middle-aged men sprawled out in chairs watching national boxing tournaments on TV all day. (Is there even such a thing as "national boxing tournaments?")

Boxing Day immediately became one of my favorite holidays. What could be better than a holiday that's all about leftovers, re-gifting, and letting your hair down after all the pomp and ceremony of the previous few days?

I plan to spend today cleaning up a bit, going to the post office, eating leftovers (For anyone who doesn't know what to eat for breakfast, I recommend "chocolate."), meeting the cat that one of my neighbors is caring for for the next two months, and writing Christmas cards.

Yes... writing Christmas cards. I got half of them done a little over a week ago and sent a card to everyone who'd sent one to me at that time, but there were many more I wanted to send that I didn't have time to get back to. Not to mention people whose cards have arrived since then that I haven't reciprocated (all of whom were on my list of people I still wanted to send cards to.) I send out "New Years" cards a lot.

(Looking around...) I think I'll start with the "cleaning up" part. Looking around from my desk chair I can see:
  • 1 decapitated santa.
  • My friend's CD with a big glittery silver/blue bow on it.
  • 5 empty Lindor Truffle wrappers.
  • Receipts waiting to be entered into my computer.
  • "The Night Before Christmas" book that I've had since I was at least 5 years old. I read it every year.
  • The opened box of Christmas cards I have yet to send with a list of names sticking out on top.
  • The opened bag of Lindor truffles.
  • Gifts I need to return (not any bought for me, but gifts I bought for "the boys" early on that I wasn't happy with. They'll go back after New Years so I can avoid any "post-Christmas" rushes.)
  • A gift for a friend I'll see in a few days.
  • Er... dirty laundry... Specifically, what I wore yesterday.
  • A black ink cartridge for my printer.
  • Gift certificates to Lincoln Center. (Thanks Aunt M!)
  • A bottle from Quark's bar.

 

6 Comments:

storyteller said...

Melissa - I'm so impressed with your focus. I've heard of Boxing Day but usually spend the day after Christmas resting up from the pre-holiday busy-ness. Today I've spent considerable time reading and responding to comments left on my blogs the last two days while I wasn't around to see. And, of course ... Molly needed LOTS attention since she spent more time than she's used to without me the past few days while I was with friends. Maybe tomorrow I'll focus on clean up. Unless I get cards from folks I didn't send to, I'm done with that task ... though I didn't get them mailed until Monday morning (around sunrise) so they'll probably arrive at their destination between Christmas and New Years.

Hope your Christmas was Merry and Bright and the New Year brings peace, wonder and joy to you and yours.
Hugs and blessings,

Melissa said...

Yeah, well best laid plans... Lol!

I did do some straightening up, and I moved the bag of chocolates *away* from my desk and into another room! Then I got a call from "the last mother" and I went out to deliver the last set of presents. Then I came home, returned a few calls, and somewhere between 3pm and 4pm I fell asleep! Lol! No paperwork, no Christmas cards... Ugh. I'll see how I do with those tomorrow! :D

I'm glad you and Molly got some much needed catch-up time together :)

Nora said...

I love Boxing Day. So civilized.

Missy said...

Wow, I didn't even realise it wasn't a world-wide thing.

Boxing Day is eating leftovers, going to the beach, and/or watching the Boxing Day Test (cricket match). And testing out all the new toys, of course.

Tania said...

I grew up thinking that Boxing Day was the day to throw out all the boxes that the gifts were in. No boxes this year though. I watched a 90210 marathon instead. (my brain hates me now)

Melissa said...

nora bee: I agree :)

missy: Yup, most people here have no idea what it is. I'm surprised that several people who have commented on it here have heard of it.

mac: You made me LOL! :) After my brain fell asleep, I woke up and decided to let it finish the day by watching a few Voyager episodes.