Saturday, October 18, 2008

Legacy

ME
It's been almost a year. I originally put up the memorial site to get information to people about the funeral and benefit concerts. Most of that is done, or could be handled by a mailing at this point. I promised your sister I'd take the site down when it was no longer needed, but people are still visiting it.
HER
Still?
ME
People leave comments. The most recent was a week ago from someone who hadn't realized she'd died. Others return from time to time. I can see it in my stats.
HER
Leave it up. I'm glad it's there. Really. Even though I can't visit it.
ME
I know you can't.
HER
It's not because I don't like it.
ME
I know that.
HER
Someday I'll be able to. It's still too soon. But I want it there. I like knowing her site is there. Leave it up.
ME
Ok. But I may change the focus then, from information related to her death, to a celebration of her life.
HER
That's fine. Just one thing.
ME
What?
HER
Take that picture of her off the front page.
ME
I know. She hates it.
HER
OH MY GOD she HATES it.
ME
I know.
HER
She's screaming in my head!
ME
I know. She's been screaming at me since the day I put it up.
HER
SCREAMING! In my head!
ME
I know! You don't think I know? I told her it was the best picture I had of her and I'm sorry she thinks it's puffy-
HER
PUFFY!
ME
I know.
HER
You have to take it off.
ME
I would LOVE to take it off. I KNOW she hates it. She's been screaming at me too, since day one. But I need a better picture of her to put in its place. She's your sister! Send me a better picture!
HER
I have LOADS of pictures.
ME
Well SEND me some!
HER
I will! Just get that one off of there. I can't stand the screaming. You don't understand...
ME
I do-
HER
I'm telling you, I can hear her-
ME
I know.
HER
She's SCREAMING in my head!
ME
I know. She's been screaming at me too. BELIEVE me. I've been hearing it too.
HER
I didn't want to say anything to you. I thought it'd hurt your feelings.
ME
Me? No! I know she hates it! You don't think she'd tell me! My feelings aren't hurt at all.
(pause)
So what else haven't you told me that she hates about the site?
HER
Nothing.
ME
Nothing….
HER
Nope, that was it. Just that one picture.
ME
Really.
HER
Yes.
ME
There's nothing else she hates about the site that she's told you about?
HER
No.
ME
Nothing.
HER
Nothing!
ME
Ok…
(long pause)
-She hates the 4th picture too.
HER
I KNOW!!!!!!

 

5 Comments:

Grandy said...

Oh make the screaming stop... won't you?

Tania said...

Somehow this is must be comforting.

Nora said...

I love your dialogue posts. You should be a playwright.

Melissa said...

Grandy: LOL! It's stopped it's stopped! :D -And I got new pictures to put up there. Everybody's happier!

Mac: It's weird isn't it? What's very strange is that we both described the exact same thing. Same words etc., and we'd said nothing to each other about it. When I wrote about "our conversation" last year, I was being kind!

Nora: Thank you :)

Melissa said...

-To clarify my comment to Mac: "Our conversation" = the one I had with the friend who passed away, while I was putting up her site!