Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween At The ER

Years ago, I worked in the Emergency Room as an EMT. I have fond memories of Halloween shifts in the ER... Memories of handing patients off to the resident Mad Scientist (Surgeon)... Telling people looking for Xray to "Follow that Ninja." (Yeah I know... I would have thought skeletons too. But no. The X-Ray Technicians were Ninjas. -No this isn't another one of my dreams! ;) )

One of the more interesting parts of Halloween was the variety of costumes and fake injuries that came through the door. Severed heads? Yeah, like we'd fall for that! Scars, deformities, amputations, arrows through heads... With all the layers of costumes, mummy bandages, fake blood, and zombie-wear, it was never immediately apparent what the real injury was. Which is why when a man came in, wearing jeans, a white t-shirt spattered with blood, and 4 scars running straight down the front of his face, I casually took him aside and said,

ME
Hi.

HIM
Hi.

ME
Happy Halloween.

HIM
Thanks.

ME
What are you in for?

HIM
I got into a fight at a bar.

ME
What happened?

HIM
This.
(Gesturing to the 4 scars running down his face.)

ME
Wait, those are real? I thought that was part of your costume.

HIM
I'm not wearing a costume. I took it off after the fight.

ME
So none of this is fake? The blood on your shirt, is that real too?

HIM
Yup. All mine.

ME
Ok. Hold on.
(As I gestured to Raggedy Ann a nurse.)

ME (CONT.)
So what happen?

HIM
There was a Halloween costume contest at the bar where I hang out. And I won first place.

ME
And...?

HIM
And... You know Freddy Krueger? From Nightmare On Elm Street?

ME
Yes.

HIM
Well... he wasn't so happy I won.

Freddy Kreuger and his claws

 

4 Comments:

storyteller said...

Sorry I’ve been such a stranger but life has been incredibly busy. I’ve had 1000+ posts in my reader so long it’s probably 2000+ by now (or more) so I may NEVER catch up, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Halloween! You've been BOO'd!!! Check out yesterday's Halloween Fun at Small Reflections for details ... and don't miss today's HAPPY HALLOWEEN Haiku Friday too ;--)

Are you doing NaBloPoMo again this year?
Hugs and blessings,

Grandy said...

That Bastard Kruger!!

Nora said...

!!!

Melissa said...

Storyteller: I have no idea what's in my reader, but I do know that someday I will catch up on it all. -Thank you for stopping by :) Happy (belated!) Halloween to you too!

Grandy: I KNOW! ;) -I swear I thought the blood all over him was fake when we walked in!
"Never ASS U ME ..!"

Nora: :oO