Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dream: 125th St (Part 2)

Part 1 of this dream is here.
...I noticed that it was slowly, slowly starting to get darker.

I was thinking to myself that even if 125th street was dangerous (Again... in "the dream world." In real life it's fine.), I could get through it ok. It wasn't a smart or a safe thing to do, but I figured I could do it. -I kinda figured I had a 70% to 80% chance of making it through. I'd just keep walking determinedly until I made it through to the other part of town where I could grab a bus or a taxi to get home. But I did not want to be walking through there when it was dark. So I told the family I was leaving, and I told them they should go too.

By now, the father was starting to look crazy. Weird creepy movie scary crazy. His eyes started to look distorted and like googly eyes -kind of like a claymation movie- and it was getting worse. And it was because of the guy he was talking to. The guy from the house. I tried talking to the father and telling him to leave, but he was getting more and more strange. The mother a little bit too. Finally I thought "I have to go."

I started to leave, and one of the little girls ran up to me and asked me to take her with me. She said she was scared and didn't want to stay there. I told her I didn't think that would be ok with her parents. (I didn't know any of these people!) She pleaded with me to take her with me, so I told her I'd ask her parents' permission. As I turned around to walk back to the table I thought "What am I doing? I need to go!!!"

I walked back to the table and asked her parents' permission. I told them she was scared and asked if it would be ok for her to come to my house until they were done. I told them since they had a car, when they were finished and got back to it, they could swing by my place and pick her up. The mother looked up at me and I saw that her eyes had now started to go googly too. The father, was now much further gone.

I panicked a little, seeing this, then suddenly changed what I said. I didn't ask their permission anymore. I told them, "She's coming with me to my house. When you're finished here, CALL me. CALL me when you're done. She's going to be with me!" I repeated this several times to try to get them to understand, and still tried to get them to come with me, but they weren't going to go. Then I picked up the girl, started to leave, and at the last minute thought to call back to the rest of the kids, "Anyone else who wants to come with me, come with me NOW. Follow me and you can wait at my house until your parents come to pick you up. Any of you can come with me, just follow me, but you have to come now! Otherwise, stay with your parents!"

Two boys left the table and decided to come with me. I could see other kids who were uncertain and clinging to their parents because they were scared and didn't know what to do. Which didn't surprise me. I mean think about it... young kids, choosing between their parents, (even if they're turning creepy/scary) or a complete stranger.

As I walked away, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a boy with a red shirt who seemed to live in that neighborhood, playing with some other neighborhood kids on the street, and I heard him say to them "I'm going with her. I want to get out of this place." And his friends said, "She's talking about THEM stupid. The kids she knows! She's not talking about you! You can't go with her!" -And they were right. And I thought it was kind of weird that:
  1. This kid thought that I was talking to anyone in the entire neighborhood, and not just the kids from that family. That ALL the people of the world were welcome to come to my house!

  2. That he wanted to come with me. Because it seemed like he lived there, so this was his home. So, he was already home and... well... he lived there right?

  3. I also kind of thought "Should I take him with me? What's going on here?"
It was strange, but I kept walking with the kids that I had.

It continued to get darker, and I vaguely remembered that one of the parents (the mother?) had given me some money to pay for a cab for the kids and myself, and it was folded into a square that I was holding tightly between a couple of my fingers. But because I was also walking and carrying the girl, at one point I wasn't sure if I was still holding onto the money anymore. I looked around and couldn't find it, but I didn't want to stop and look for it for too long and decided "F- it, I have to keep going. Leave it here -wherever it is. I have to keep moving." Then I remembered that I had my own money, and that I always carry a little extra with me, so I should still be able to pay for a cab for all of us.

I reached into my bag with my free hand to check for my money, and was pretty sure I felt it. But then I worried about pulling my hand out, because I was afraid that in doing so, I'd accidentally pull the money out too. I tried, slowly, several times, to remove my hand from the bag, and each time I felt like I was going to cause the money to fall out of the bag. And I thought to myself "Why did I do that?! Why did I check?! I should have left it alone and just known it would be there and not checked until we got into a cab!"

But even if I lost that money too (which I thought I might) I was still going to keep going. I'd just walk home all the way if I had to. Me and all of the kids.

(Part 3 of the dream is here.)

 

0 Comments: