Thursday, January 24, 2008

Meme #2: This Is Not The Sharpshooter You're Looking For. Move Along...

Earlier this week I was tagged with my first meme: "Share 7 random and/or weird things about yourself." This is a further explanation of #2 on my list.
2. I stopped taking riflery at camp when I was 12 because I was afraid I'd get drafted.

I used to be very good at riflery. Then one day, I realized that the certificates of completion I'd received were from the National Riflery Association. -And I panicked. I immediately thought "Oh my God... The N.R.A. knows I'm a "Pro-Marksman." The U.S. government has documented PROOF that I can shoot a rifle! If they draft me someday, how am I going to explain to them that 'yes, I'm very good with a gun but I'll only shoot targets and I refuse to shoot something that's living!' ?"

I imagined all kinds of conversations where I'd try to explain the whole "I won't shoot living things" concept to various government officials and/or generals, or where I'd try to convince them to use my sharpshooting skills for technical things like shooting a weapon out of someone's hand, or shooting a bolt that was holding a crucial piece of rope at the top of a tall building way across a dangerous field... (Yeah... I didn't watch too much television! ;) ). But no matter how times I played out these scenarios my head, they always ended the exact same way -With the government officials or generals staring down at me in my olive drabs, handing me a rifle, and saying "we don't care."

So I did the only logical thing a 12-year old at sleepaway camp could do. I stopped taking riflery in the hopes that the N.R.A. and the U.S. Government would forget all about me, and never force me to go into battle and kill people. I never got drafted so it must have worked ;)

 

6 Comments:

Grandy said...

Whew! Close call indeed!! ;)

Nora said...

Nice logic there, clearly it saved you from a life of forced military service. :-)

Vanessa said...

Its crazy what we think as kids!

Kennis said...

*snort* Love the title..lol

Vanessa took my words..like..exactly..:).

Glad you dodged the bullet

Rebecca said...

Actually, if it weren't for the fact that this prez is a lame duck, AND this veep solemnly promised not to run (and seems to be keeping that promise) I'm not sure I'd be as relaxed as I am about your having dodged that bullet... Good thing you took evasive action!!!

(*shakes off x-files-ish conspiracy theories*) (Funny thing: the theme song going through my head is from Dr. Who, not Man from U.N.C.L.E. or any of the James Bond films or X-Files or even Twillight Zone... *snort* Dr. Who?)

Just giving you the heads-up that I got the meme going! Just have to find folk to tag now. But I'm on it... ;-)

Melissa said...

Kendra: Thank you ;)

As for conspiracy theories and crazy things to think, there was a small part of me that got nervous right before I hit the "submit" button on my post. You know... because the government reads my blog and might come after me NOW for this! ;) (When they're not busy scoping out girls' summer camps!)