Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight

Yeah, I know. I've got to get better at telling you guys stuff further in advance.

Unlike solar eclipses, lunar eclipses are safe to view without any protective eyewear. Because some sunlight is still refracted, even during a total lunar eclipse, the moon will not go 100% dark. Instead it is more likely to take on a reddish tone. The next total lunar eclipse should take place in approximately two years. More info on tonight's eclipse is here.

You can also see NASA's website for the exact times of tonight's eclipse for your location. FYI: My favorite part of that page is (emphasis mine):

...This web page allows you to calculate the viewing circumstances of all lunar eclipses visible from your city over a five-thosuand year period.
Because who doesn't need THAT information?

(By the way, did you notice the typo? That's not mine. That's theirs. That's right. The rocket scientists have a typo ;) )

 

6 Comments:

Vanessa said...

oh come on! now who doesn't plan on living for five-thosuand years? ;)

Nora said...

Hee hee. The rocket scientists better stick to their rockets. The eclipse was gorgeous from here tonight.

Alice said...

i had NO idea it was coming last night, but happily a friend called mid-eclipse to alert me. so cool!!

MP said...

It was awesome wasn't it..it was SO cold though..and clear. I tried taking pictures but I kept shaking..I need a tripod.

Melissa said...

I couldn't see it from my place. I would have had to walk a bit to a clearer area and it was cold. I'll try for the next one (in about 22 months!)

As for Nasa: Yeah, they're pretty good with those rockets. Me? I probably wouldn't make it through lift off ;)

And 5,000 years? I wonder if knowing I'd live for 5,000 years would make the first 100 any easier?

storyteller said...

Wow -- I got to see the whole thing here in So Cal (even though it rained all day) because the skies cleared around 7pm. Interestingly, the moon’s initial position in the sky let me enjoy most of the event from the comfort of my living room couch. I eventually donned a jacket and moved to my patio chair when the moon rose too high for me to see from inside. It was all very cool indeed.
Hugs and blessings,