Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Knork

I was having a conversation with a friend through instant messaging, when my food delivery arrived. Not to be deterred, I continued to type to him with one hand while I ate my dinner with the other. And then a thought popped into my head.

ME
I have a question. How the heck do you eat and type at the same time?

HIM
I make a mess :)
My friend has one arm, and while I could completely understand typing with one hand, typing with one hand while eating at the same time was difficult for me to imagine. But there's a solution for everything -he makes a mess!

Then he said:
HIM
-And I never use a fork when I'm on the computer.

ME
You don't use a fork when you're on the computer? I'd think that would make it easier to do both?

HIM
I balance the laptop on my lap and if it starts to fall, I could put my fork through the screen.

ME
That would be bad.
So then the conversation moved to cutlery, and that's when he mentioned that he used to own a combination fork and knife. I originally pictured a handle with a knife on one end and a fork on the other, and thought that was a really clever invention, but then he said it was a knife blade on the side of a fork. He wasn't sure if these were still made so I looked it up while we were chatting, and it is. It's a combination knife and fork and it's called a knork. -Not to be confused with the spork (combination spoon and fork) which I'd heard of.

It's a pretty cool idea. I may have to get a set of knorks for myself. As a matter of fact, that may be this year's Christmas present to everybody. Think of all the cleanup it could save.

 

5 Comments:

Kennis said...

I totally invented that when I was in middle school...someone stole my idea. We weren't allowed to have knives at school, but sometimes cutting our food wasn't easy with the forks they gave us. I remember telling the kids at the table about my grand idea of a Knork lol. So cool to know they exist :)

Hillary said...

Yeah, it's cool until you go to take a bite with the fork part and SLICE OPEN YOUR FACE with the knife part!!! And, not that sharp, you say? Right-o. Then what the heck's wrong with the side of a fork?

:P

Hope all is well, you sneaky internet updater!

Kennis said...

Yeah..the whole 'cutting open the face' thing was the reason why I never patented it...and why I believed it was impossible. I need to see it in action :)

Nora said...

melissa, I always learn something when I come over here.

Melissa said...

Kendra, I have no doubt that the idea was originally yours. I think you should sue.

Hillary: I'm a bit skeptical too. Supposedly it's not sharp but it's more "wedge-like" than the regular side of a fork. The info for them talks about a "rocking motion" that's used to cut food. -Uh huh... like the rocking motion we use when we cut food with the REGULAR side of a fork? ;) Still, I wouldn't mind seeing one in action.

Nora: Not just "something" but "something you COULDN'T POSSIBLY LIVE WITHOUT!" could you! :)