Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tip: When Blogger "Eats" Your Post Or Comment

I left this tip for someone in their comments today and thought I'd post it here as well.

The next time Blogger gives you an error message when you're trying to make a post or comment, (and you think all your brilliant thoughts, insights, and hours of work have been lost!) right click on the page and select "back." (Mac users, hold down the cntrl key while you click the page, and select "back.") Your words will often still be there in the form. Copy and paste them somewhere while you attempt to publish again just in case Blogger is still misbehaving.

This should work with similar "form submitting" errors on other websites too, including forums, shopping carts, etc.

 

5 Comments:

Vanessa said...

I do this and have been so relieved so many times!

Bayjb said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely keep this in mind. Stupid Blogger, stop eating my words!

minijonb said...

it's a good tip to know.

depsite all it's quirks and annoyances, Blogger works well for something that's free.

Melissa said...

Vanessa: Yeah me too.

bayjb: Saves a lot of panic.

minijonb: Hi, welcome :) All in all, for a free service, blogger is good. My only complaint with it right now, which is a MASSIVE problem is the inability to easily backup a blog (like in wordpress) and having nothing in place to be able to redirect readers if a blogger bot accidentally closes your blog. That is a huge problem for me. But otherwise, blogger is pretty good.

storyteller said...

I’d forgotten how much you know about all this. The help you provided with html codes a few months back helped me learn to do many useful things.

What a useful tip this is! I have made note of this and shall try it next time Blogger eats my words. I've had a few weird glitches lately with all the images on my Small Reflections site disappearing for a few hours one day a while back ... and just today Blogger wouldn't let me sign in. I do think about changing from Blogger to Wordpress or Typepad, but I've got enough on my plate at the moment.

I wish Blogger would allow me to choose which of my 3 URLs to 'link' with the way WP and TP do. I've tried signing in Anonymously and/or entering my 'name & URL' but often get an error in the link. Seems like there ought to be a reliable way to direct folks to a specific blog, but if there is ... I've not yet hit on it.
Hugs and blessings,