Sunday, July 6, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture?

smoke

I'll give you a hint. It's DIRECTLY below my window.

Nobody?

Ok. What if I told you that wasn't a blurry picture?

No?

Ok, what about these pictures?

fire truck

fire truck

Getting a better idea?

How about this:
311
311 operator, how can I help you?

ME
Is fireworks a 311 or a 911 call?

311
That would be 911 but I can connect you.
ME
Thank you.

[Moments later]

911
911 operator, where's the emergency?

[Information between myself and the 311 and 911 operators is exchanged.]

ME
I actually don't mind fireworks, but now the smoke smell is getting really bad and coming into the building.

911
Can you see who's setting off the fireworks?

ME
Not really. Hold on.
(pause)
I can see some people but... oh... actually, I think there's smoke.
(pause)
Yeah. There's a lot of smoke.
(pause)
Yeah, my building's on fire.

911
Hold on I'm connecting you to the fire department.

ME
Thank you.

VOICE IN MY HALLWAY
THE BUILDING'S ON FIRE! THE BUILDING'S ON FIRE!

FIRE DEPARTMENT
Fire Department, where's the fire.

ME
[My street address]. It's outside the building. It looks like the garbages were set on fire by fireworks. There are some people outside, regular people, trying to put it out with a hose.

FIRE DEPARTMENT
I didn't hear all of that.

ME
Thats because of the FIREWORKS that are still going off!
I have to say, the neighbors across the street get some credit for pulling out their building's hose (seen towards the left in the pictures) and putting out the bulk of the fire -even if they're the ones most likely to have started it. The fire truck was here for an additional 20 minutes or so finishing off the job.

The real beauty of this? They're still setting off fireworks outside.

 

9 Comments:

Kennis said...

Holy CRAP! Are you kidding me with the 'I didn't hear all of that'? Honestly I'm stuck between wanting to laugh and put my hand over my mouth in shock.

PS...I gave you an award :)

Alice said...

haaaaa. i love the blase "yeeeeah my building's on fire" bit. wtf, neighbors! stop lighting fireworks!

Bayjb said...

Yikes. That's why I have zero faith in 911. I just have nightmares about trying to call them and getting zero help. How scary is that, your building's on fire??

Grandy said...

Oh how frustrating! Glad no one was hurt and none of your little houses were affected. :)

Melissa said...

kendra: Thank you!!!!

alice: That's exactly how I was too. "Yeeeeaaaah, my building's on fire." As I stood looking out the window I wondered if maybe I should MOVE and not stand RIGHT THERE but the fire was still exterior, and hadn't come into the building (except for the smoke). Plus the firemen weren't evacuating anyone, so I figured I was safe enough for the moment.

bayjb: Because I could see most of what was happening, I wasn't that scared. The more info I have the calmer I am. And believe me, I was taking in all the info I could to try to anticipate when/if to start running through my building and knocking on doors! But it didn't come to that. Basically I got dressed and had my "Emergency evacuation" bag standing by (it's always standing by), but that was it. Though I was definitely adrenalized for the rest of the evening.

grandy: Lol! My "Little houses." I need to post some more pictures of those. I have a couple of guest pictures to post someday too.

Anonymous said...

STUPID.. We "only" had 11 residential fires..where people lost their whole fricking house due to fireworks. That's some scary stuff.. STUPID...

Anonymous said...

that last sentence ticked me off??? Are fireworks that important??? I love the beauty of the light show and all, but I could so deal without the noise and certainly not right after a fire caused by freggin fireworks.

Vanessa said...

So glad everyone is ok and (hopefully) no serious damage was done.

Melissa said...

mp and abbie: I was SO ANNOYED at the fireworks that people kept setting off AFTERWARDS! But they weren't doing it non-stop so I really couldn't call anyone on them. But about every 15 minutes or so, for the next 4 hours -well into the morning- a bunch more went off just a building or so away.

vanessa: Thank you. The outside of the building is a bit singed, some recycling signs got bubbly and scorched, and a whole row of garbage cans did a giant shrinky dink imitation. Other than that, not much damage done, thankfully. The smoke smell cleared out of my apartment within 24 hours. -Tough to air out an apartment when the smoke is COMING from outside!