Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Expressions

I've had two friends use expressions in the past few days that I have never heard before. They say everybody says these things. I say they're on crack.

The first one was kind of cute. A friend was talking about someone who had been rude to a co-worker and said "This woman thinks she's the last Coca Cola in the desert!" -Not the last glass of water mind you, or even the air lift out of the desert, but specifically the last "Coca Cola." She assured me that people say this all the time. Granted this was said to me in Spanish so maybe it's said all the time in Guadalajara!

The second expression came from a different friend who, in the middle of a conversation, said "shoot" and then followed it by saying what originally sounded like "shoodamunkay." Naturally I thought that this too was a foreign expression, but when I asked her about it she said it was an American expression. Then she repeated it again... Slowly. And when she was done I said:

ME
Ok, that sounded even worse. It sounded like you said "Shoot a monkey."

HER
Yes. "Shoot a monkey." It's an expression. People say it all the time.

ME
What people?

HER
American people. They say it all the time!

ME
Where?

HER
Here! My husband always said it. You know, like when you say "shoot" in front of your kids and then you want to cover it up really fast so you say "shoot a monkey."

ME
So instead of saying "shoot" in front of small children it's better to say "shoot a monkey?"

So now I'm asking all of you. Have any of you ever said either of these expressions in any language at any time on any part of this planet? Because I would really like to know.

And by the way, who covers up when they say "shoot" anyway? Shoot is already a cover up word for something else! You can't have a cover up word for a cover up word! I'm pretty sure there's a rule against that somewhere. I mean really, if you're going to cover up something I think it would be better to figure out how to cover up that you just said "shoot a monkey" in front of your kid!

 

11 Comments:

Tania said...

I'm with you. Shoot a monkey carries way more offence. I've never heard anyone say either of these things.

Missy said...

I agree. Never heard of either of them. And why make shoot worse when it's already covering up something ever worserer?

My fav cover-up phrase is Fudge n Apples.

Cammy said...

I've heard coke in the desert one other time. Don't recall where, but I remember snickering because it stuck out and amused me.

As for the monkey murder that's all knew and kind of....pointless. Of course, I'm the person who is usually using "shoot" as the cover for something else around small fry....

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh Cammy, TWO comments! Lol! :D And you've heard of the coke one? Hmmm... maybe in Texas? So that's
Coke expression: 1
Shoot a monkey: 0

Mac: I thought they were both funny but just bizarre. And yeah, "shoot a monkey" is better how??! Lol!

Missy: Hi! Welcome! Fudge 'n apples is good :)

Great, now that's what I want for breakfast!

storyteller said...

Nope ... I've never heard either expression, but then ... I'm a dinosaur. There's LOTS I've never heard of along with a whole bunch of things YOU'VE never heard :)
Hugs and blessings,

Mme.Meow said...

"Se cree que es la Ășltima Coca-Cola del desierto" totally takes me back-- I used to say it when I was in middle school, but I hadn't heard it in years.

"Shoot a monkey?" Er... never heard it. Personally, I loved the way Benji's sister in "So You Think You Can Dance" euphemistically squealed "SHUT THE FRONT DOOOOOOOR", but maybe it's just me.

Rebecca said...

This one might be a new one: "Cheese and crackers" is what my former pastor used to say where other people would say ... well.. Jesus Christ. I how he 'had' you, til you got to that 2nd 's'. I say 'kick in the ankle' instead of kick in the a(something else) because it grabs people's attention that I DIDN'T say what they expected me to say. Plus, when you think about it, it hurts more to be kicked in the ankle -- less fat there! I have never heard anyone here in Ohio say "shoot a monkey" or "last coke in the desert", but I'll ask my brother in Atlanta, where EVERYTHING in your glass is coke, unless it's milk, coffee, tea, or water. Those seem to be the only exceptions. (Maybe beer.)

Melissa said...

Storyteller: Do tell :)

mme.meow: Wow, you just opened an account? Welcome!

So ok, with mme.meow that makes TWO for the coca cola one! And you even know it in SPANISH! The fact that 2 people have heard of this one now is very funny to me. -And really the expression is funnier in spanish too!

rebecca: I used to hear "Cheese and rice" for Jesus Christ. Maybe he said crackers so they'd be 100% sure about what he *hadn't* said!

This is fun! More expressions? :)

MP said...

...never heard the Coke thing.

I've heard of Spank the Monkey..but that is a totally different thing all together.

Melissa said...

mp: Yeah... slightly different! :D

Grandy said...

Ummm...I like to think I'm quite the connoisseur (wow that's a hard word to spell) of wierd things to say...but I've never heard of those.