Saturday, December 15, 2007

Shredding

I stopped storing bills in file cabinets years go. Now, throughout the year, I save all my bills in a small cardboard/video storage box which I keep by my desk. At the end of the year, once my taxes are done, I label the box and store it in a closet. I save bills and statements for about 6 years, then I shred the oldest box of bills and re-use that box for the next year's bills. Today I'm shredding 2 years worth of old bills in preparation for next year (I'm a bit behind in my shredding!)

I check everything before shredding it and man... the memories...

-Purchases and bills surrounding a close friend who died. -Memories of doctor visits, gifts, random supplies to try to make things more comfortable... heating pads, blankets, food, cab fares... -Vet bills from a pet that was ill back then, plus supplies and toys and purchases related to that. -Deposits and/or transactions from companies and/or people I haven't seen in years... -Phone bills with numbers of people I'd called for any number of things that were going on back then: personal, professional, political, "life..." -Classes I took... -Receipts from stores and businesses that don't exist anymore... -Film and theatre tickets... -Travel receipts...  Then there are purchases and names of people that are exactly the same now as they were back then -which is equally strange to me considering some of the other differences!

So many memories flooding through my head.

Sometimes I think I should just shred everything without looking, but then I always worry I may shred something important. I have another 6 months worth to go.

 

4 Comments:

storyteller said...

I can relate! That's a task on my to-do list as well. I wish I could be like my sister and do it w/o looking, but like you ... I need to check, so it takes forever. Hang in there ... you're 3/4ths done already and I haven't even started making my Christmas cards yet! Sigh ...
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Wow. You are SO organized! HOly moly. You must be in finance of some sort... hmm...

It's fun looking back, hey? I haven't gone through things that old, but every now and then I'll find something for a waaay back when, and it's fun to reminisce.

Happy shredding! :)

Hillary said...

erg. blogger wouldn't let me log in on that last comment. Now? Totally fine. Dumb blogger.

Tania said...

I went as far as actually buying a shredder, but I cant bring myself to do the sorting part of the task. The shredder is still in the box.