Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Fish By Any Other Name...

At Dinner

HER
I think I'm going to get the Monk Fish.

ME
Oh. You're getting a "Fish Creation."

HER
A what?

ME
A "Fish Creation." See...? That's what they call that section of the menu. Not "Seafood" but "Fish Creations." Frankly, that made me a bit nervous.

LATER

ME

How's your Fish Creation?

HER
Good. But I'm a little disappointed in the shrimp. They only gave me three.

ME
Well that's because it doesn't come with shrimp.

HER
It doesn't?

ME
No. The menu said it comes with "shrimp essence."

HER
Shrimp "essence?" Like they wave the shrimp over the dish a few times?

ME
Yeah. Or they took a little bit of shrimp and squeezed it over the top like a lemon to give you its "essence."

HER
Well, it was still a good dish. I'd come back for it again. And I'm telling myself that, because it's seafood, it was healthy. -And I'm ignoring the fact that it was doused in tons of butter.

ME
Think of it as dairy. Dairy is healthy. -It's calcium.

HER
Calcium! I need calcium!

ME
I know!

HER
I had seafood for dinner with calcium.
(pause)
Lots and lots and LOTS of calcium.

 

3 Comments:

Vanessa said...

We can be so creative in justifying food to ourselves!

Anonymous said...

I like that...and will use that. I may or maynot give you and your friend credit.

w/ calcium :-)

Melissa said...

I was most intrigued by the menu descriptions of "fish creations" and "shrimp essence." -WTF?