Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Am Thankful For Bigger Things

Whenever I sit here to write about what I'm thankful for, there are a lot of really "big" things that come up for me. But they're things I'm not comfortable writing about. Still, they are there. Sometimes the reason something is so appreciated is because the circumstances surrounding it were so intense; Random acts of kindness during tragedies, deaths, injuries, or traumatic events like 9/11...

It's not difficult for me to write about the good things that happened, nor is it difficult for me to acknowledge my gratitude. I've expressed my thanks to the people involved many times. What's difficult for me to write about are the contexts of those various events. -The background information about what was going on at those times that made those acts so appreciated.

So because it's very strange for me to write about a bunch of things I'm thankful for, and know that I'm not including some events that are very important or significant to me, this is my official acknowledgement of all those people and all those situations that I think about every time I sit down to write, and choose not to write about at this time.

I will always be thankful, and I will always remember. Because I have an insanely long memory, and I never forget.

 

2 Comments:

Hillary said...

I think it's neat that you are talking about those small little things. Those things that jumpt to our minds right away when we decide to be thankful, those are things we don't forget about. But choosing to be thankful for those little things, that's sometimes harder. I applaud you for looking beyind the obvious and seeing the little things, too! :) And I totally get it about choosing not to write about the big things. There are certain things I don't talk about on my blog for similar reasons.

Melissa said...

Thank you Hillary. Your comment means a lot to me.

I'm still trying to find my comfort zone with posting even this much online. It's a very strange thing for me to do.

Among friends I'll talk up a storm (ok all of you who know me in real life, stop giggling!) but publicly, I'm really super private. So this whole "blogging thing" is still a bit weird for me to do, because *everything* feels like something kind of personal to post. Even little things.

NaBloPoMo is helping me to get over that initial discomfort a bit, (which is why I signed up for it) but I'm still struggling trying to find that balance between "Yeah, this is ok to 'put out there.' I should get over this." and "Errrr... yeah I'm not quite there yet with this other stuff!" ;)

Thank you again for your comment.