Friday, November 9, 2007

I Am Thankful For The Blog That Fixed My iPod

A few months ago, my iPod stopped working for no particular reason. One day I plugged it in to charge, and moments later I was greeted by the sad iPod icon

sad ipod icon

-which by the way, is only a slight step up from the early Mac days when Apple would show you a bomb if something went wrong with your computer!


I tried hard and soft resets, booting in disk mode, I tried to re-install software... Nothing worked.

Had I not needed to buy an iPod a few years back, I doubt I'd have one now. I'd still be perfectly happy with my old walkman. But since I'd had one for a while, I really missed it when it stopped working. There was no question in my mind that I was going to have to get another one. (Repairing it would have cost more than buying a new one.) Since new models were about to come out I delayed my purchase so I could take advantage of any specials or price drops that were sure to come on older models -and that delay turned out to be a very good thing :)

One day, while I was waiting for the new releases, I came across this site which mentioned an iPod fix that was receiving a tremendous amount of attention. I read through over 100 comments that said things like "OMG IT WORKS!!!" and "DUDE you're a GENIUS!!!" -and variations on those themes. The solution sounded crazy but I had nothing left to lose and it had worked for all these other people, so I decided to give it a try.

-And the darned thing worked.

What was the solution? Dropping it. Yes that's right. Dropping it. That thing you always try NOT to do with your iPod! The thing you buy clips and lanyards and straps and case protectors to prevent from happening. That's what worked. I couldn't believe it! I also couldn't be happier :)

If you've got an old dead iPod sitting around in a drawer give this a try -but only after you've exhausted all your other options.

 

2 Comments:

Hillary said...

HA! I totally remember that bomb. Holy overkill, batman! :P

And that's some trick to get the thing working again!

Melissa said...

It was SO funny! I thought "No F-ing way did this JUST WORK!!!" :D