Sunday, November 4, 2007

I Am Thankful For My Neighbor "M"

When I first moved into my apartment over 10 years ago, I noticed some amazing cooking smells wafting through the hallway. After a couple of weeks I narrowed down the possible sources and determined that they were coming from my neighbor two doors away. One day, I finally saw someone emerge from that door and I yelled "YOU! It's YOU! You're the one making the amazing smelling food!" About an hour later there was a knock at my door. M was there with a plate of food and asked "Do you like chicken and rice?"

She and her family and I are now good friends and at least 2 or 3 times a month I get a knock at my door and am often greeted with the phrase "Do you like [insert food name here]", to which I usually reply (with a huge grin on my face) "Yes please!" :)

It turns out food is one of her major forms of currency. It's the way she says "thank you," it's the way she shows people she cares. M loves to cook and share her food with others. I can't do any favors for her without walking away with a large plate of food! And hey, I'm not complaining!

Last week, I'd done a few favors for her and she was beside herself because she wanted to thank me by giving me some food but I'd told her I was on a diet (which is true!) I told her not to worry about it. She's done more than enough for me over the years. A short time later she showed up at my door with a large plastic container from the local grocery store and said "Do you like arugula?" I said "Umm... yeah." She thrust the package at my chest and said "Here!" then walked away triumphant.

... I am thankful for my neighbor "M." :)

 

2 Comments:

Hillary said...

*I'm* thankful she didn't run away when you screamed at her that first time! :) heeheehee!

Melissa said...

She did look a bit "cornered" Lol!