Friday, November 23, 2007

I Am Thankful For Random NYC Art


First it was The Cows...



Between 1999 and 2000, over 500 cow statues started to randomly appear all over New York City. (See the Cow Parade website for more info.)



Then there were The Gates


Photos courtesy of "The Gates @ Central Park"


In 2005, 7,500 bright orange "gates" lined 23 miles (36.8 km) of footpaths in Central Park. (More information on The Gates is available at NYC.Gov.)


Earlier this year there were the R2D2 Mailboxes...

Photo courtesy of wsh1266


And now, for the past month, our Taxis have looked like this:



Photo courtesy of kjgrow


Photo courtesy of melinni



New York City's art initiatives keep me entertained, if not slightly perplexed. It's a good thing I don't use drugs.

 

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too! Happy Thanksgiving!

Nora said...

Great photos! I remember those cows. I am far away in Seattle now but I can just picture those flowery taxicabs....

Melissa said...

When it was just a few taxis I thought what the heck? (Ok, not "heck" but you know... ;)) Then I thought maybe it was just one company's taxis -though I couldn't imagine what they were smoking. Then as the number continued to grow I thought "ok... I've got to google this!" Lol!

There are still people who have no idea what's up with the flowers! None of my neighbors did.